One reason I wanted to write from an early age is because so many writers, dead and alive, have helped me, sometimes even really saving me. … Sharing your experience through honest words is one of the best gifts you can give.
He was one of those late 30-somethings that exist only in New York, a land of Peter Pans given license. Hanging out in rock-star dream cafes with guitars around their necks like Shaman’s beads. He knew how to project to the back of the room, the place where the budding girls sat in clusters like [...]
“It’s a city that chews people up and spits them out.” She was sitting next to him on the banks of New Jersey, listening to him talk. He was smoking a hand-rolled, flicking the ashes into the rocks fringing the Hudson like a stubbly mustache. She watched his mouth move with smoke and words. She [...]
She searched the Island, from the Bronx to the Seaport, for something as spectacular as inspiration or Love. Inspiration she found flowing in a trickle under the tracks of the F line on 14th Street. Love remained more mysterious, though she searched high as the Empire State and low as the tunnel between 2nd and [...]
you wrapped around me like a war bruised bloodied foreign i did not care that you had bombs in your eyes wounds not yet healed i wanted the adventure i was eighteen and ready to be drafted but the bombs came, sometimes i wake nights still hearing them, my own scars raised like flags the [...]
Seeing the John Deere trucker-cap on the Upper-East-Side hipster’s head brought it all back— the yellow-rimmed tractor wheels that were taller than me, the smell of hay and grass, the farm. What did these people know of the land, of tilling, planting, and tending, of how that Atkins-friendly meal reached their plate? And the girls [...]
I keep picking sunny boys with bright faces and tall backs for the vase on my kitchen table- watering-can boys that brighten rooms with their blooms only later to find piles of I-love-you-I-love-you-nots scattered on the floor I keep cleaning up this mess vowing next time I’ll choose a cactus or some inconspicuous thing grown [...]
No one wants to hear about broken hearts. Its cliché. We all know what it means and how it is. There have been songs and paintings and books. Since the beginning there has been this crumbling. There have been marathons run and new lives forged and hair cut and lonely empty streets walked and friends [...]
When I started hostessing at Sofia’s, it was your typical New York City moonlighting-gig. Sofia’s was the quintessential Upper East Side pizzeria and hot-spot, populated by modern-day debutantes, celebrities and heiresses. The place was abuzz with fashion and the “latest thing.” With the eye makeup on, the right clothes and the right walk, with fashion-camera [...]
About All Things Girl
Our mission at All Things Girl is to allow women a place to showcase their stuff - their artwork, photography, poetry, prose, articles on health, reviews, thoughts on business, creative endeavours and so much more. Our goal is to create a high quality, fun and diverse ezine.
Sign up for our Newsletter
- Cover Girl Stephenie Meyer: An Interview (Part One) with Deb Smouse 02. May, 2008
- Live Alone and Like It The Classic Guide for the Single Woman 30. Jun, 2008
- My Plan to Thrive while I Deal with Grief this Holiday Season 29. Nov, 2011
- Life, Love and Lesson Plans by Wynn Godbold 15. Feb, 2011
- Under the Bed by Jody Keisner 14. Feb, 2013
- The Mighty Kymm’s Deep Cuts: Before Midnight 23. May, 2013
- Happier & Healthier Living: Sandwich Generation 19. May, 2013
- The Gypsy Girl’s Guide to Atlanta, GA 17. May, 2013
- Habitation: Ditching Drama as a Lifestyle 15. May, 2013
- Man on Monday: Brian Plautz of Chroma 13. May, 2013
- Jody: Thanks Penny. I enjoyed reading this. A lot. W...
- Jody: Thanks Margaret. I agree. We women do have a deep ...
- Margaret: Really great read, Jody. Our relationships with w...
- Elizabeth Rago: Thanks, Roxanne. I am so happy I am on my side now...
- Elizabeth Rago: And high fives! E...